When the snow falls in Des Moines, it comes in full force! One of our family’s favorite winter activities during the Winter season is sledding. Grab the snow tube or sled and find the best sledding hill in Des Moines. But, where is the best place to sled in the Des Moines metro?
Several of these spots only allow sledding if there is a minimum number of inches of snow on the ground, so always check their social media and/or call before heading over! Check out the places you can rent snowshoes in Des Moines, if you are looking for some snow sports variety, check out our favorite mittens for kids too. Not into sledding a great hill? Check out this gigantic list of ice skating in the Des Moines area.
All of these spots are broken down by Des Moines communities. If you click on the park you will be directed to more details about the park. All of these spots are added to the interactive map if you want to see what is closest to you.
- Otter Creek Golf Course – 4100 NE Otter Creek Drive, Ankeny, Iowa
- Seven Oaks Recreation – 50131 1086 222nd Drive, Boone, Iowa
- A go-to for all winter sports operations. A great place to host winter birthday parties!
- Mercy West Clinic – 1601 NW 114th St, Clive, Iowa
- Blank Golf Course – 808 County Line Road, Des Moines, Iowa
- Capitol Hill – 1111 East Court, Des Moines, Iowa
- Perkins Elementary School – 4301 College Ave, Des Moines, Iowa
- This park has been noted with smaller hills perfect for toddlers!
- Sleepy Hollow Sports Park – 4051 Dean Ave, Des Moines, Iowa
- Waveland Golf Course – 4908 University Ave, Des Moines, Iowa
- The hottest spot on a snow day! Add this to your winter sledding bucket list.
- Beaver Creek Elementary School – 8701 Lyndhurst Drive, Johnston, Iowa
- Pointe Vista Park – 9612 Enfield Drive Johnston, Iowa
- Metro Ice Sports Arena – 5100 NW 72nd St, Urbandale, Iowa
West Des Moines
- Jordan Creek Elementary – 4501 Fuller Road, West Des Moines, Iowa