You can’t wish the snow away, so why not embrace it! Snowshoeing in Des Moines, Iowa can be a fun way to exercise afnd explore without getting your socks full of ice. There are several places to rent kids snowshoes (and even more to rent adult snowshoes), be sure to call ahead and reserve them for pickup on Friday if you can because several of these places are closed on Saturday. Each facility has different rules, but generally speaking you need at least 4″ of snow on the ground to snowshoe safely.
I called around to get the specifics on availability and confirm everything:
- Dallas County Conservation does NOT rent them out, they only use them in programming (check their calendar here).
- Story County Consevation does NOT rent them out or do programming with them.
Kid & adult snowshoe rentals:
- Neal Smith Wildlife Refuge (Prairie City) – FREE, rental in the main building (prairie learning center)
- Jax Mercantile (Ames) – Adult snowshoes $15 – Kid snowshoes $5 – Poles $3
- Polk County Conservation admin office at Jester Park (Granger)- $10/day
- Des Moines Parks and Recreation (Des Moines) – $10 weekend $5 for 1 day – Mens/womens/2 sizes of kids – rent by 4:30 on Friday Snowshoes are located at the Richard A Clark Municipal Service Center. 1551 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, Des Moines, IA 50317. 515-248-6369.
- Active Endeavors (West Des Moines)- 1 Day Rental: $15/set 2 Day Rental: $25/set Authorized Deposit: $100/set
- Warren County Conservation said they mainly use them for programming(check their calendar here) but that they can be checked out if someone is in the nature center and they’ll be used on property, call ahead.
Adult sizes only:
- Rasmussen Bike Shop (West Des Moines)- Adult Only- Snowshoe Rental: $12/Day Pole Rental: $8/Day Snowshoe/Pole Rental: $18/Day Weekend Snowshoe/Pole Rental: $25